Friday, July 26, 2024

Project Recovery

Is it possible to recover? 

Unlike many people I know who have successfully been getting therapy of some kind, I've been seeking solutions on my own since 2010. Even though I was seeing words such as codependency and addiction, they weren't really sinking in. Even though I was reading a lot of books relating to mental health, I didn't feel like I was 'recovering'... until I began to find online support groups with the word recovery in them. The word recovery gives me a sense of hope where before I kept slipping back into feeling depressed, isolated, lost, and hopeless.

About two years ago, I found the first group, Spirituality in Recovery through Mile Hi Church in Colorado. My addictions include past use of pharmaceutical drugs, sugar, chocolate, work,  relationships, chaos, and ruminating on losing my ability to walk. This group meets every Wednesday night on Zoom. Each week, we have a different topic. I like the structure of topics. When I first started, I felt detached. Some weeks, I just sat back and listened. Most of the people in the group were recovering alcoholics... which I am not. I'm sure if I could tolerate alcohol, I would be. As time went on, I found I had more to share. I also participated in the Trauma Support Group for Women on the first Wednesday but then decided to focus on the previous group. Scroll down to Support Groups on https://www.milehichurch.org/prayer/

The Covid shutdown pulled the rug out from under me and a lot of other people. Some people 'recovered' quickly. Other people like me didn't; however, I was already used to being isolated... to a certain extent. Many organizations began using Zoom instead of meeting in person. I mentioned my challenges to the facilitator in the first group who suggested In the Rooms (ITR). 

On the ITR website, I found Codependency, Grief, and Relationships with Sophia Caudle. Dr. Sophia stated all addictions have their root in codependency... and that everyone is codependent in some way. I learned the term ambiguous grief. Examples are what I never had in childhood, the empty nest when my son didn't need me anymore at age 12, all the relationships that didn't work out (because I was codependent), all the 'homes' I lost along with the possessions, losing my ability to work due to chronic pain and illness, and struggling with taking care of myself on my own. Here's more information on ambiguous grief:
https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/coping-with-ambiguous-grief

ITR also has Trauma and Recovery with Barbara Stromquist (uses Pete Walker's book COMPLEX PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving). One of the first things I discovered in the book was emotional flashbacks which described why I was waking up in the morning feeling abandoned and depressed. Unbeknown to me, I was dreaming about unpleasant situations and waking up in a state of emotions referred to as flashbacks. Once I got this figured out, the intensity of them faded away. Before going to sleep, I ask guardian angels to accompany me and protect me. Flashbacks don’t ever stop happening. You learn skills for managing them. People like Pete Walker and Peter Levine still deal with their stuff but teach the skills they learned in managing them.

In addition to the above two groups, ITR has one for Chronic Pain Anonymous. I was surprised to learn that a 12-step program was developed for this, too. The focus is on the emotional effects of what you are dealing with vs the actual details about your condition(s), doctors, treatments, etc. The main book used in this group is Recipe for Recovery. In this group, a member showed the weighted stuffed animal they use for emotional support. Thus, after much research, I settled on Benji (shown in the above photo). He weighs 5 lbs. 

Last, but not least, is CoDA.org. CoDA is an abbreviation for Co-Dependents Anonymous. Books used in this group include Co-Dependents Anonymous, the Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions Workbook, and Melody Beattie's The Language of Letting Go. After listening to people describe their dire circumstances, I felt some relief. Despite all of what I've dealt with, I am grateful I didn't have to deal with what they deal with. Two of the statements they use are:

"We have all learned to survive life, but in CoDA we are learning to live life." 

"No matter how traumatic your past or despairing your present may seem, there is hope for a new day in the program of Co-Dependents Anonymous."

In addition to the above meetings, the facilitator I first mentioned has a recovery group through the Center for Spiritual Living, Manatee, Florida. She also has a discussion group for a book, currently The I of the Storm by Gary Simmons which meets twice a month.

Between attending the above meetings, I'd find inspiring information on Facebook and Instagram which I copy into my Journal Highlights book document. I am always amazed by the synchronicity and divine timing that I find them... validating what I hear in the various recovery groups. Here is one:

Myth of Closure: Ambiguous Loss in a Time of Pandemic and Change. How do we begin to cope with loss that cannot be resolved? The COVID-19 pandemic has left many of us haunted by feelings of anxiety, despair, and even anger. In this book, pioneering therapist Pauline Boss identifies these vague feelings of distress as ambiguous loss. This is what we experience when a loss remains unclear and undefined, and thus lingers indefinitely. Now, with a pandemic that has upended the lives of people across the globe, we are collectively experiencing ambiguous loss – loss of trust in the world as a safe place and loss of certainty about our healthcare, education for our children, employment, and the rebuilding of our lives after so much loss. Here, you will find guidance for beginning to cope with this lingering distress, and even learn how this time of pandemic has taught us to tolerate ambiguity, build resilience, and emerge from crises stronger than we were before. https://a.co/d/bqvsfRS

Maybe I am too hard on myself, but I don't feel like I have built resilience yet. I am practicing taking one day at a time... and reminding myself to not give up. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you practice resilience every day. "Resilience is the ability to withstand adversity and bounce back from difficult life events. Being resilient does not mean you never experience stress, emotional upheaval, and suffering. Resilience involves the ability to work through emotional pain and suffering."

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment below.